The only program of its kind, this concentration provides students with a solid foundation in the visual arts, a targeted focus on production design for film and digital content, and a unique campus situated on an active studio lot. Production Design concentrators also draw upon the resources of our Film and Digital Content program and a collaborative academic culture that creates abundant opportunities to form creative partnerships and produce an impressive creative portfolio of completed film projects that will serve as a powerful introduction to industry upon graduation.
Visions are worth fighting for. Why spend your life making someone else’s dreams? —Tim Burton
Students Who Complete This Program...
- Are powerfully prepared to pursue a professional career in motion pictures as an entrepreneur with artistic sensitivity, creativity and integrity.
- Demonstrate a compressive understanding of visual storytelling, structure, technology and professional production skills with a creative portfolio of original digital content.
- Master the command of the various team functions and roles in film, television, video games and commercial production with professional best practices.
- Explore a deeper study in Production Design that includes visual storytelling, storyboarding, stage design, architecture, furniture design, set construction, decorating, color theory and set etiquette.
All degree candidates who complete the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Art with concentrations in Digital Media, Graphic Design, or Visual Communications will have the opportunity to produce an extensive portfolio of original work with direct commercial applications to film, television, social media and advertising industries. Additionally, they participate in a graduate showcase that includes a gallery installation, transmedia strategy, industry outreach and online platform exhibits.
PRODUCTION DESIGN ASSETS PROCURED FROM: (PARTIAL LIST)
- SILENT NARRATIVE SHORT FILM
- FIVE MINUTE SYNC SOUND FILM
- INTERACTIVE MEDIA FOR LIVE PERFORMANCE
- VIDEO EFFECTS AND MOTION GRAPHICS REEL
- BRANDED DIGITAL CONTENT
- ORIGINAL WEB SERIES
- EXPERIMENTAL SHORT FILMS
- SKETCH COMEDY SHORTS
In cinema, the Production Designer is responsible for the visual design or mise-en-scene of the film. As head of the Art Department, the PD works closely with the producer, director, cinematographer and post-production supervisor to determine not only what is shot, but how it is reproduced visually on screen. In addition to supervising the art department, the Production Design degree also prepares graduates to work as Art Director, Creative Director, Set Designer, Set Decorator, Property Master, Property Assistant, Set Dresser, Construction, Fabrication, Animator and Graphic Designer.
You can also view our GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT page for more career information on jobs and possible careers that relate to this program.