Our program balances the timeless principles of storytelling, a thorough grounding in the visual language of cinematic narrative as it has evolved and hands-on training in state-of-the industry post-production technology and workflow. Students are also trained in directing, screenwriting and producing to give them a holistic understanding of the entire production process for film, television and online platforms and the editor’s role in each medium.
You get to contribute so significantly in the editing room because you shape the movie and the performances. —Thelma Schoonmaker
Students Who Complete This Program...
- Are powerfully prepared to pursue a professional career in motion pictures as an entrepreneur with artistic sensitivity, creativity and integrity.
- Demonstrate a compressive understanding of visual storytelling, structure, technology and professional production skills with a creative portfolio of original digital content.
- Master the command of the various team functions and roles in film, television and commercial production with professional best practices.
- Explore a deeper study in Editing that includes visual continuity, pacing, color, silence and set etiquette.
All degree candidates who complete the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Film & Digital Content program with a concentration in Cinematography will produce a series of original projects designed to build a creative digital portfolio of professionally produced content including:
- SILENT NARRATIVES SHORT FILM
- FIVE MINUTE SYNC SOUNDFILM
- INTERACTIVE MEDIA FOR LIVE PERFORMANCE
- BRANDED DIGITAL CONTENT
- 2 FEATURE LENGTH SCREENPLAYS
- ORIGINAL WEB SERIES
- EXPERIMENTAL SHORT FILMS
- PRODUCTION DESIGN PROJECT
- CINEMATOGRAPHY REEL
- DOCUMENTARY SHORT FEATURES
- SKETCH COMEDY SHORTS
- VIDEO EFFECTS AND MOTION GRAPHICS REEL
- FIFTEEN MINUTE NARRATIVE SHORT FILM
- DOCUMENTARY SHORT ON INFLUENTIAL PRODUCER
- DOCUMENTARY SHORT FEATURE ON INFLUENTIAL DOCUMENTARY FILMMAKER
- INTERACTIVE MEDIA PROJECT
- MUSIC VIDEOS
- SPEC COMMERCIALS
- ADVANCED EDITING CAPSTONE PROJECT
With a degree in Editing, graduates work in postproduction on motion picture projects for film, television, commercial productions and digital media. With the rapid expansion of digital platforms, the need for editors to assemble media is quickly expanding. Graduates are qualified to work as Editor, Assistant Editor, DIT (Digital Imaging Technician) Transcoder and Colorist. A comprehensive understanding of editing can also lead to work as Postproduction Supervisor or Associate Producer.
You can also view our GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT page for more career information on jobs and possible careers that relate to this program.