Professional musical theatre has become one of the most competitive industries in the performing arts, and Relativity School’s program combines comprehensive training in acting for all genres, voice, musicianship, dance, musical theatre performance and entertainment industry business courses to create an entrepreneurial approach to creating success. We create actors with a business mindset that can sing, dance and create their own work—as well as do television, film, commercials and digital media. Relativity School integrates a general education sequence including courses in Society & Culture, Arts & Humanities and Scientific Inquiry to explore diverse perspectives and allow students to express ideas, assess information critically and communicate effectively in real world settings. Students take comprehensive sequences in acting and voice, and are challenged to be innovators, entrepreneurs and thought leaders while preparing for a professional acting career in film, television and theatre.
Students collaborate with filmmakers (directors, screenwriters, producers) during their course of study and get the opportunity to work on original film projects including an original movie musical. Advanced courses in camera technique and auditioning for film, television, commercials and voiceover position our students for a diversified entertainment career both on stage and on screen. In addition to programmed course projects, students will have the opportunity to audition for annually programmed productions. Additionally, our Collaboration Labs are programmed for all students and are built to foster interdisciplinary creativity.
All the best performers bring to their role something more, something different than what the author put on paper. That’s what makes theatre live. That’s why it persists. —Stephen Sondheim
Students Who Complete This Program...
- Are powerfully prepared to pursue a professional career in musical theatre as well as in film, television and digital media production as an entrepreneur with artistic sensitivity, creativity and integrity.
- Identify and illustrate musical storytelling, truthful acting and a comprehensive understanding of historical context across all genres with a professional vocabulary and artistic expressiveness.
- Demonstrate technical proficiency, strong work ethic and readiness for the business demands of a career in the entertainment industry with practical entrepreneurship skills for producing their own work.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology, artistic sensitivity, creativity and integrity.
All degree candidates who complete the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Contemporary Musical Theatre + Film program will produce a series of original projects designed to build a creative digital portfolio of professionally produced content including:
- ORIGINAL SHORT FILMS
- MUSIC + DANCE VIDEOS
- ORIGINAL WEB SERIES
- ELECTRONIC PRESS KITS
- APPLIED WEBSITE CONTENT
- INTERACTIVE PERFORMANCE WORKSHOP
- ORIGINAL FILM TRAILERS
- 10-MINUTE PLAY SERIES
- TECHNICAL THEATRE PRODUCTION
- CHOREOGRAPHY MASTER CLASSES
- LIVE MUSICAL THEATRE AND DANCE PERFORMANCES
- ROCK MUSICAL PERFORMANCE
A degree in Contemporary Musical Theatre + Film can help you become a musical theatre professional. With this degree, you could become a Professional Actor for Stage, Film and Television. You could organize and coordinate theatrical productions as a Stage Manager. Help choose actors for productions as a Casting Director. Or keep choreography ship-shape as a Dance Captain. You could even use your Musical Theater degree to educate others as a Drama Teacher or Audition Coach. A Musical Theater degree offers a variety of ways to make your passion your profession.
You can also view our GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT page for more career information on jobs and possible careers that relate to this program.